Commercial, Industrial - September 9, 2016
Adds, cuts made to Dow Jones sustainability lists
S&P Dow Jones Indices and RobecoSAM, an investment specialist focused exclusively on sustainability investing, on Sept. 8 announced the results of their annual review of the Dow Jones Sustainability Indices.
The companies listed the three largest additions and deletions — by free-float market capitalization —from the DJSI World list this year.
Back on the list after being removed in 2014 was Cisco Systems Inc. Royal Dutch Shell PLC and Adobe Systems Inc. were the other two largest additions. Intel Corp., Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. and British American Tobacco PLC are set to be removed from the list, which will be posted in full on Sept. 12 on RobecoSAM's website. The changes go into effect Sept. 19.
Additionally, Robeco listed what it identified as the "top scoring company" in each of the 24 industry groups included in the indices. Of those 24 leaders, just two are headquartered in the U.S.: Abbott Laboratories for the health care equipment and services industry and Hewlett-Packard Enterprise for the technology hardware and equipment industry.
Notably, the companies said in announcing the changes that corporate attention to the environmental, social and governance factors used to help determine the sustainability index has been on the rise.
"[Environmental, social and governance] integration has gone mainstream, attracting the attention of more and more investors," S&P and RobecoSAM said in a news release.
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?
- Shape-shifting: Why a turbine’s shape is your most important asset