Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - October 29, 2018
Cinemark signs nine-year wind VPPA
Cinemark USA, Inc. announced on October 29 it has signed a nine-year VPPA with AEP Energy Partners for up to 40 megawatts of renewable energy from AEP’s Trent Mesa wind energy center in Nolan County, Texas. Cinemark will receive RECS for the wind power capacity representing approximately 38% of its current total annual domestic energy consumption.
"We remain committed to reducing our carbon footprint through both onsite and offsite renewable energy projects," said Mark Zoradi, Cinemark’s CEO, in a statement. "This new virtual power purchase agreement between Cinemark and AEP is the next step in our ongoing efforts."
In addition to this new VPPA, the statement noted, Cinemark continues to deploy a number of energy efficiency projects including HVAC retrofits, rooftop solar panel installations, as well as interior and exterior LED retrofits.
Once fully implemented, the 40 megawatts of power from Trent Mesa will produce renewable energy equivalent o the approximate power consumption of 120 Cinemark theaters. The company currently operates 539 theaters with 5,998 screens in 41 U.S. states, Brazil, Argentina, and 13 other Latin American countries.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business
- White paper: Demand-Side Energy Management in the U.S. Manufacturing Industrial Sector
- DE Forum Presentation: How Cinemark makes DERs work, both as a property owner and a tenant
- DE Forum Presentation: Charting a course for DERs at Tyson
- Green Lease Leader: Green Leasing Spurs Efficiency Improvements in Cleveland Businesses and City Building