Commercial, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - September 4, 2019
Kohl’s to cut GHG emissions
Kohl’s is accelerating its long-term sustainability plans with substantial climate actions, including cutting GHGs emissions and expanding renewable energy platforms. All of the retailer’s climate goals support the United National Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) SDG 7 Affordable and Clean Energy and SDG 13 Climate Action goal.
This plan, outlined in the retailer’s just-released 2025 sustainability goals, calls for the following:
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Kohl’s-owned operations by 50% versus 2014 baseline by 2025.
- Further reduce energy consumption by 10% at Kohl’s facilities by 2025, building off of the company’s existing 20% reduction against 2008 baseline.
- Expand renewable energy platforms by building off the company’s existing 161 solar and wind locations.
- Support the transition to a low-carbon transportation system, building off of the company’s existing 96 locations offering electric vehicle charging.
“At Kohl's we are committed to being a responsible corporate citizen, making our communities stronger by supporting initiatives and organizations that focus on health and wellness, sustainability, and environmental efforts that benefit all families,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer. “We are proud to share our sustainability goals that support Kohl’s efforts to enhance our standing as a retailer of purpose.”
Kohl’s also outlined a series of initiatives for waste and recycling and sustainable sourcing to help it meet and support other SDG goals for the next six years, including diverting 85% of Kohl’s U.S. operational waste from landfills, and more.
- Renewable Energy Buyers' Principles adds 6 new participants to growing list of large-scale names
- McDonald's Italia to install EV charging stations at 100 locations
- McDonald's launches net-zero restaurant at Disney World
- University of Hawai'i makes first step toward being net-zero system-wide
- Moody's Corp. unveils new sustainability goals