GHG Emissions, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - February 7, 2020
Saint-Gobain enters into its largest clean energy agreement
Saint-Gobain North America has entered into its largest clean energy agreement to date by signing a 12-year VPPA with the Blooming Grove Wind Farm in McLean County, Ill., to offset its CO2 emission in the U.S. In September, Saint-Gobain committed to reaching net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.
The materials manufacturer will receive RECs through the agreement with Invenergy that will offset the emissions from their U.S. operations by 40% and reduce its U.S. carbon footprint by 21%. Their contract includes receiving 120 MW of the 250 MW wind farm,
“Today, we celebrate a significant milestone in Saint-Gobain’s three-and-a-half-century legacy of powering innovation that enhances the well-being of people around the world,” Emmanuel Normant, Vice President of Sustainable Development at Saint-Gobain, said in a statement. “I hope Saint-Gobain’s efforts can serve as a model for others who are looking to make strategic investments in the future of our planet while powering their company’s business objectives forward.”
Saint-Gobain North America’s vPPA with Blooming Grove Wind Farm sets parameters around the company’s exposure to volatility within the energy market; the company worked with Edison Energy to develop this structure.
The power that will be created from the wind farm will be contributed to the electrical grid transmitted by PJM Interconnection, which provides electricity through power grid systems in part of the U.S.
The Blooming Grove Wind Farm is currently under construction and is expected to be operational in late 2020.
- Edison International launches energy advisory unit aimed at C&I customers
- SED to present corporate renewable energy sourcing research findings at Climate Week NYC
- Smart Energy Voices Podcast - Episode 15: Tackling Scope 3 Emissions at Honda North America
- How to Engage Your Supply Chain in Sustainability
- Verizon, Saint-Gobain ink agreements with 250 MW wind farm
- A Guide to IFRS Accounting for VPPAs
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Winter Edition
- Iron Mountain Data Centers aces the Better Buildings Challenge
- Challenging Channels: Creativity and Competition
- SED Pulse Survey: COVID-19's Impact on Sustainability Goals and Workplace Restart