Commercial, Sourcing Renewables - February 25, 2020
Firmenich reaches 100% RE in global operations
Firmenich announced Feb. 25 that all of its operations worldwide are now powered by 100% renewable electricity.
The perfume company is a member of RE100 and reached this achievement by purchasing renewable grid electricity and by pursuing the development of on-site wind and solar.
"In 2015, we set an industry-leading goal to source 100% of our electricity from renewables by 2020,” Neil McFarlane, Senior VP of Quality, Health, Safety & Environment at Firmenich, said in a statement. “I am delighted that we have achieved this milestone of 100%, on our journey to carbon neutrality. This performance is a testament to our teams' extraordinary commitment to addressing the climate emergency and reducing emissions throughout our value chain."
Next on the horizon is Firmenich’s pursuit of reducing absolute Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 55% and Scope 3 emissions by 20% before 2030. While manufacturing output has grown 18%, the company’s emissions have dropped 30% since 2015.
Additionally, Firmenich is one of the founding members of the “Business Ambition for 1.5C” along with Unilever, Danone, Nestlé and L'Oréal.
- A Guide to IFRS Accounting for VPPAs
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Winter Edition
- Iron Mountain Data Centers aces the Better Buildings Challenge
- Challenging Channels: Creativity and Competition
- SED Pulse Survey: COVID-19's Impact on Sustainability Goals and Workplace Restart