Energy Efficiency, Sourcing Renewables - August 25, 2020
Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
Gov. JB Pritzker of Illinois released Aug. 21 his eight key principles for transforming the state into a clean energy economy, including focusing on renewable energy and decarbonizing the transportation sector.
A centerpiece of the governor’s plan includes strengthening the transparency of Illinois’ utility companies and improving ethical requirements to protect ratepayers. Additionally, Gov. Pritzker set a target for the state of 750,000 electric vehicles by 2030 as a progression toward a decarbonized transportation sector. The governor is also targeting 100% renewable energy in the state before 2050.
Gov. Pritzker’s eight key principles that he plans to focus on in Illinois are:
- Strengthen Utility Company Transparency and Ethics Requirements
- Expand Consumer Affordability Protections
- Make Illinois a Renewable Energy Leader and Phase Out Dirty Power
- Implement a Market-Based Solution That Supports Clean Power and Clean Air
- Electrify and Decarbonize Illinois' Transportation Sector
- Support Communities Transitioning to Clean Energy
- Advance Equity in the Growing Clean Energy Economy
- Enhance Energy Efficiency in Illinois
"When it comes to clean energy innovation, Illinois is a leader in the Midwest, and by working together we can build on that progress to protect consumers and the climate," Gov. Pritzker said in a statement. "With these principles as a starting point, we will ensure any legislation on energy includes robust consumer protections as we work to increase transparency and restore the public's faith in this process. I will be an advocate for ratepayers, so they know they will finally have a seat at the table. These principles represent guideposts for crafting a legislative proposal that puts consumers and climate first, and I look forward to working with our legislative partners, advocacy groups, and other concerned citizens to bring this effort home."
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook