Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - April 13, 2021
GSA Plans $91 Million Project for Improved Energy Efficiency
As part of the National Deep Energy Retrofit (NDER) program, the U.S. General Services Administration (GSA) will improve facilities, energy efficiencies and upgrade technologies in landmark federal buildings. The plans are part of the GSA’s target of net zero energy consumption while achieving energy goals prescribed in various federal Energy Acts.
The GSA awarded a $91 million contract to Johnson Controls to implement this program. The Washington D.C. buildings scheduled for updates over the next three years include the Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center (RRBITC), the New Executive Office Building (NEOB), the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (EEOB), Jackson Place, the Winder Building, and the Civil Service Building. Work on the project is expected to start on May 1, 2021.
Overall project objectives include:
- Reducing energy and water consumption
- Improving efficiency of lighting, water, and HVAC systems
- Transforming building automation systems
- Implementing cost-effective retrofits with paybacks of 25 years or less
- Completing construction with minimal disruption to tenants
- A comprehensive and integrated whole-building approach to the various energy conservation measures
In a statement, George Oliver, chairman and CEO at Johnson Controls said, "Sustainability, energy efficiency and working toward the goal of net zero are top of mind for government leaders across the United States. This is reflected in the Biden-Harris Administration's recent infrastructure bill as well as our nation's re-joining of the Paris Agreement. Partnering with the GSA to make these historic buildings more environmentally friendly and energy efficient is an honor, and we look forward to upgrading more buildings around the U.S. in the coming years to create healthier places and do our part to support a healthier planet."
- Existing building energy efficiency becomes multibillion-dollar industry
- Hawaii airport completes solar installation
- City of Pueblo Housing Authority Partners to Build Solar Garden
- Most companies are planning to invest in energy projects in 2021, survey finds
- N.Y. village plans $5 million in energy efficiency improvements
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook