April 23, 2021
WOW! Announces Energy-Efficient Products and Practices
WOW! Internet, Cable & Phone, a leading broadband services provider, has announced new initiatives to reduce its carbon footprint.
These actions include the development of:
- Energy-efficient set-top boxes and streaming devices, including the WOW! tv+ box and Amazon Fire TV Stick
- Self-install kits, which reduce gas emissions since technicians need to make fewer in-person visits
- Replacement of copper cables with more energy-efficient fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) options
- Improved battery efficiency in WOW!’s headend facilities and data centers
- Eco-friendly business practices including less printing, unplugging items when not in use, and storing data in the cloud.
In addition, WOW!’s consolidation of 17 facilities since April 2020 has lowered its company-wide emissions by 10%. Many employees now work from home, which allows them to consume less gas commuting and WOW! to reduce its IT equipment, utilities, water use, and energy needs.
"The COVID-19 pandemic has been a cause of major disruption and pain for our country but it has also allowed us to reinforce our continued commitment to protecting our planet more than ever before," said Teresa Elder, CEO of WOW!, in a statement. "We believe our efforts will reduce our carbon footprint while also maintaining our commitment to providing excellent service to our customers."