GHG Emissions, Industrial - April 30, 2021
Volkswagen Targets Carbon Neutrality by 2050
In its first Way to Zero Convention in Berlin on April 29, Volkswagen revealed plans to become carbon-neutral across its supply chain, production, operations, and products by 2050.
“We’re taking a holistic approach to decarbonization: from production through service life to recycling,” says Ralf Brandstätter, CEO of Volkswagen.
This approach includes the company’s interim goals:
2021 and onwards
- Launch at least one new electric car per year
- Develop 7 terawatts of European wind and solar plants
- Invest 14 billion euros in decarbonization
- Cut its CO2CO2 emissions in Europe by 40% per manufactured vehicle (compared to 2018)- Make 70% of its European sales electric vehicles
- Make 50% of its North American and Chinese sales electric vehicles
- Use 100% renewable electricity for its operations in the Americas and Europe
- Achieve an all-electric vehicle fleet
To accomplish these goals, Volkswagen has become the first carmaker in Europe to directly support utility-scale renewable energy. Currently, it’s partnering with energy company RWE to install a 170 million kW solar farm in Germany by the end of 2021. This array will be the largest independent solar project in the country.
Volkswagen already provides clean electricity for home and on-the-road electric vehicle charging stations. In addition, it uses 100% renewable electricity for its ID.31 and ID.42 battery cell production lines.
Once Volkswagen achieves its targets, it will have far exceeded the E.U. Green Deal’s requirements.
“Volkswagen stands for sustainable e-mobility for all,” says Volkswagen CEO Ralf Brandstätter in a statement. “In the future, employees, customers and investors will give preference to those companies which place their social and environmental responsibility at the heart of their business. Sustainability will thus become a crucial factor in corporate success.”
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook