GHG Emissions, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - May 7, 2021
Iron Mountain Announces 20 New Sustainability Goals
Iron Mountain Incorporated, a storage and information management services company, on May 6 announced new corporate responsibility (CR) goals as part of its eighth annual CR Report. As part of the company’s long-term strategy, “Securing a Sustainable Future,” plans include targets for net zero emissions, 100% clean electricity in its data centers, and transitioning to electric vehicles.
Among the key goals:
- By 2025, Iron Mountain will achieve 90% renewable electricity corporate-wide, 15 years ahead of its RE100 commitment, and will have long-term renewable energy contracts in place to offset 100% of its projected global data center demand.
- By 2025, Iron Mountain commits to go beyond its current Science-Based Target (25% reduction of absolute GHG emissions from its 2016 baseline) to reduce an additional 25% of GHG emissions from Scope 1 & 2 energy sources from its 2019 baseline.
- By 2025, the company plans to have all new construction of multi-tenant data center facilities certified to the BREEAM Green Building Standard.
- By 2040, Iron Mountain commits to achieve Net Zero emissions, ten years ahead of the Paris Climate Accord, and is a signatory to The Climate Pledge.
- By 2040, Iron Mountain will use 100% clean electricity,100% of the time in its data centers. The company will go beyond its commitment to 100% renewable electricity to accelerate grid decarbonization, using the Google methodology for matching site-by-site electricity use.
“We’re navigating challenging and uncertain times around the world, and it’s never been more essential for Iron Mountain to live our values and purpose whilst we do our part to create positive change in the world,” said William Meaney, President & CEO, Iron Mountain in a statement. “I’m proud of the resilience we’ve shown, the commitment and care we’ve demonstrated for our customers, employees, and communities, as well as our collective spirit of innovation and collaboration. I’m optimistic about our future and working to achieve the goals we’ve set that will help guide our culture, actions, and investments in the years to come.”