Energy Efficiency - July 21, 2021
Revel Explores Virtual Power Plant for Scooter Charging
Revel, the electric mobility company, plans to enhance the resilience of New York City’s grid and optimize the charging of its electric mopeds through participation in a virtual power plant.
The company will work with GridRewards to adjust the charging schedule of its electric moped fleet to be activated during off-peak electricity times. A test run of this system shifted the timing of the charging sessions for one day during a heatwave to avoid peak usage hours, resulting in the equivalent of powering 100 homes with carbon-free energy.
The GridRewards software is also available to individual Con Edison customers in New York City and Westchester who want to shift the timing of their electricity use. The system uses data from Con Ed’s new smart meters and is controlled through a phone app.
“As we continue to expand our electric mobility products, we plan to be an asset to the grid rather than a liability,” Paul Suhey, Revel COO and co-founder, said in a statement. “Our EV infrastructure and charging operations can play a major role in helping NYC transition to a cleaner electric grid.”
- Con Edison boasts strong year for energy efficiency incentives for C&I customers
- Building automation provider added to Con Ed's C&I energy efficiency program
- Constellation to acquire ConEd's retail electric, gas business
- Con Edison adds HVAC upgrade incentives for C&I
- Johnson Controls expands research on energy storage tech