Commercial, Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 19, 2016
Data center company Digital Realty receives EPA recognition for cutting emissions
Digital Realty Trust Inc., a data center solutions and services provider based in San Francisco, recently earned U.S. EPA Energy Star certification for its facility in Lithia Springs, Ga.
Digital Realty is also a U.S. DOE's Better Buildings Challenge partner. The EPA certification acknowledges that the facility operates in the top quartile of data centers nationwide in terms of energy efficiency, and contributes 35% fewer greenhouse gas emissions than similar noncertified facilities within the U.S.
The company earned the Energy Star distinction through a combination of retrofit projects and best energy practices, including the installation of modulating electronically commutated fan motors on critical air conditioners, the use of variable speed pumping, and raised supply air set points to improve cooling efficiency, according to a Better Buildings blog post. Digital Realty collaborated with the Lithia Springs data center’s primary customer to implement these energy management improvements. The company plans to look for similar partnership opportunities with customers at its other facilities.
As a Better Buildings Challenge partner, Digital Realty is committed to reducing the energy intensity of its entire data center portfolio by 20% over a 10-year period ending in 2024. Digital Realty has already reduced energy consumption by 6% compared to a 2013 baseline. With plans to continually invest in efficiency improvements across its 24-MW nationwide Better Buildings portfolio, Digital Realty will be completing more efficiency upgrades in the coming years.
- Large data network equipment now eligible for EPA's Energy Star label
- Verizon, GM among C&I names that earned 2016 Energy Star recognition
- With help from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, data center energy use levels after years of rapid growth
- 5 more HanesBrands manufacturing plants earn EPA recognition for energy efficiency
- Roanoke Cement receives 11th Energy Star certification
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings