Distributed Generation, Hydro - February 2, 2016
Microsoft pilots underwater data centers
In an effort to harness nature's natural cooling powers, Microsoft is experimenting with siting data centers offshore under water in the ocean. Additional benefits include locating data centers in closer proximity to highly populated coastal areas and the ability to rapidly deploy a data center if needed.
The company successfully deployed a pilot undersea data center for four months last year. Microsoft says deepwater deployment offers "ready access to cooling, renewable power sources, and a controlled environment." The concept theoretically allows the data center to receive power from an offshore wind turbine or renewable ocean energy system, but work on that is preliminary.
Microsoft is working toward a 20-year data center lifespan before the units are salvaged and recycled, according to Computerworld. Another possibility includes a "deployment cycle" of 5 years per data center, which is how long the computers inside are expected to last. "After each 5-year deployment cycle, the datacenter would be retrieved, reloaded with new computers, and redeployed," according to Microsoft.
“For years, the main cloud providers have been seeking sites around the world not only for green energy but which also take advantage of the environment,” Larry Smarr, a physicist and scientific computing specialist who is director of the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology at the University of California, San Diego told the New York Times.
Photo credit: Ken Wolter / Shutterstock.com
- Microsoft team details underwater data center benefits
- Microsoft unveils pilot program for data center energy storage
- Moving beyond RECs, Microsoft seeks more renewables for data centers
- With help from Amazon, Google, Microsoft, data center energy use levels after years of rapid growth
- Oregon wind project is Apple's largest to-date
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Delta Force - Driving Energy Efficiency at UVA
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Collaboration Enables Merck to Take a Huge, Sustainable Leap Forward