Commercial, Energy Efficiency - July 15, 2016
Energy efficiency initiatives help Michigan casino save 1.3 kWh, earn governor's recognition
After making a number of large-scale energy improvements, Odawa Casino Resort in Petoskey, Mich., was recently selected as one of two finalists for the state's 2016 Governor's Energy Excellence Awards.
Odawa, with the help of a Michigan-sponsored energy optimization program that incentivizes businesses to purchase Energy Star-rated or otherwise energy efficient appliances and equipment, said it completed a number of its energy efficiency projects after engaging employees in a companywide, "grassroots movement" to reduce energy use.
After a massive upgrade to LED lighting, improvements in IT infrastructure, and installation of variable speed pumps,by the end of 2015, according to a news release from the state of Michigan. Odawa, which receives its electric service from Great Lakes Energy Cooperative, was named a finalist for best project in the commercial or private category of the Governor's Energy Excellence Awards.
The awards program, in its second year, honors Michigan organizations and individuals for outstanding achievement in reducing energy waste. Nominations were spread across eight different categories in order to showcase exceptional commitment to responsible energy production and consumption across a variety of project types.
Miller Family Farm, a family-owned and operated vegetable farm specializing in aquaponics, was selected as a finalist for best project in the agriculture category. After upgrading to high-efficiency LED grow lights in their greenhouse, the farm, which receives electric service from Alger Delta Cooperative Electric Association, expects to save more than 80,000 kWh of electricity annually.
- DTE Electric rate request would lower bills for C&I customers
- Corporate renewable energy purchases taking hold in Michigan
- Ford announces massive facilities transformation, expects to cut energy use in half
- Michigan utility celebrates 1st solar site, state's largest community project
- Views from the top: How GM is transforming manufacturing with renewables, energy storage
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings