Commercial, Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Industrial - October 27, 2017
Equinix datacenter features evaporative cooling tech
Global interconnection and data center company Equinix has opened a new, LEED Gold Certified building in Northern Virginia.
A sharp focus on energy efficiency is a key part of the company's long-term goal of using 100% renewable energy to power its platform; Equinix said in an Oct. 27 news release that the design elements for its newest International Business Exchange, or IBX, data center represent the green standard for all future Equinix IBX data center builds.
. It is expected to meet the strict water reduction standards and will feature state-of-the-art indirect evaporative cooling technology, which dramatically reduces water use. Equinix said it continues to make advancements in the way it designs, builds and operates data centers with high energy-efficiency standards.
The $98.5 million facility supports the growing demand for interconnection capacity to enable enterprises and government agencies to address new opportunities in the digital economy, the company said.
As part of its focus on clean energy, Equinix in August announced a power purchase agreement for the deployment of behind the meter fuel cells at 12 of its sites across the U.S. The 15-year PPA with a Southern Co. subsidiary includes the installation of Bloom Energy fuel cells totaling more than 37 MW beginning in late 2017 through 2019, according to a news release.
Bruce Frandsen, Equinix's senior manager, global utilities and sustainability, will keynote at the 2018 Smart Energy Decisions Innovation Summit. Head to the event page to learn more and register to join us.
- First-time corporate renewable energy buyers breathing down Google’s neck
- Google Energy led growing number of nonutility wind buyers in 2015
- Equinix signs on for massive fuel cell deployment
- Equinix plots energy efficiency for new data center
- Tech giants join to demand increased RE, storage from Dominion
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward