Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Industrial, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - November 2, 2017
P&G marks progress toward 2020 energy goals
In releasing its latest sustainability report, Procter & Gamble on Oct. 31 reported updates on its energy management and renewable energy initiatives that are helping to drive its commitment to achieve a 30% absolute reduction in Scope 1 and 2
greenhouse gas emissions by 2020.
In the report, P&G said it has reduced energy usage per unit of production by 22% since 2010, exceeding its 20% by 2020 goal several years ahead of schedule.
Within its efforts to drive efficiency within its operations, P&G pointed to its Groß-Gerau site in Germany that recently partnered with Germany utility E.On to build a combined heat and power facility. The highly efficient approach, P&G said, allows the site to take advantage of waste heat during power production to operate other parts of its process. The CHP unit is expected supply approximately 50% of the plant's needed electrical power and 50% of the steam generated onsite.
On the renewable energy side, P&G said it is on track to reach its goal of using 30% renewable energy by 2030; with its Tyler Bluff wind project and Albany biomass project scheduled to reach their first full year of operations this year, P&G said it expects its total level of renewable energy to be about 20%.
"By powering our Bounty and Charmin plant with renewable energy, consumers can feel good about putting these products in their carts," P&G Vice President of Product Supply and Sustainability Stefano Zenezini said in the report. "We are using our innovative capabilities and those of our external partners to drive meaningful change that is good for the environment and good for business.”
- Science-based climate goals on the rise, report finds
- Leveraging partners, P&G starts 50 MW biomass plant
- Public-private sector coalition takes on thermal energy
- Wal-Mart among corporate supporters of Missouri bill to allow power purchase agreements
- Views from the top: Procter & Gamble sees success in linking climate, energy goals
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey