Commercial, Energy Procurement, Industrial - January 24, 2018
Survey: Power reliability a concern for managers
A survey of 250 energy managers at C&I businesses across the U.S. shows 70% see power reliability as a cause for concern, while 40% would pay a premium to improve it.
Survey results, released on Jan. 23 by S&C Electric, a Chicago-based smart grid company, shows power reliability is top-of-mind for these managers, as businesses take action to combat power outage costs of $79 billion per year, reported Microgrid Knowledge.
"While research shows grid reliability is improving, the customer’s perspective isn’t always accounted for," said Mike Edmonds, S&C president – U.S. Business. "What we learned through this research is that customers continue to see significant impacts from power outages, and they want to raise the bar for how power reliability is measured."
Among other results of the survey, compiled in a report, "State of Commercial & Industrial Power Reliability":
- 25% of companies experience power outages at least once a month
- 86% of respondents have experienced at least one power outage in the last 12 months
- 18% of companies experienced a loss of more than $100,000 as a result of the worst outage
- 71% of respondents represent companies that own or plan to develop alternative energy sources.
Survey results also show the significant impact that outages have on utilities. "As a company, we will continue to push the industry and regulation forward in an effort to reduce the significant economic impact of power outages worldwide," said Edmonds.
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business