Energy Efficiency, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - February 13, 2018
Nestlé reaches for 100% RE with wind PPA
Nestlé in the U.S. announced on Feb. 12 a 15-year PPA with EDP Renewables that will provide approximately 80 percent of the electricity load for five Nestlé facilities in southeastern Pennsylvania. Nestlé calls the agreement "a major step forward for Nestlé’s ambition to procure 100 percent of its electricity from renewable sources."
According to a statement from Nestlé, EDPR’s Meadow Lake VI wind farm will generate and deliver 50 megawatts of electricity through the PJM Interconnection grid to manufacturing facilities and distribution centers operated by Nestlé Purina PetCare, Nestlé USA, and Nestlé Waters North America in Allentown and Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania. This wind farm will boost Nestlé use of energy from renewable sources to 20% in 2019. Because the wind farm and the recipient facilities are located on the same regional grid, the PPA provides traceability from the Pennsylvania facilities back to the wind farm.
"Our partnership with EDP Renewables propels us forward in our ambition to create zero environmental impact by 2030, and is another example of our business transformation journey," said Kevin Petrie, Nestlé USA's chief supply chain officer. "This power purchase agreement perfectly illustrates our creating shared value strategy—that we create value for our business through contributing to a healthier future for the planet."
Through this PPA, EDPR will add 50 MW to the capacity of its Meadow Lake VI wind farm in Benton County, Ind. to the existing 150 MW already secured for the project. Construction on the expansion will begin in the next two months, and the facility will be fully operational at the end of 2018. At that point, the six-phase Meadow Lake project will total 800 MW.
- Renewable Energy Buyers' Principles adds 6 new participants to growing list of large-scale names
- Microsoft signs PPA for 125 MW Ohio wind farm
- New Indiana Wind Farm Serves Facebook and Walmart
- Performance Food Group to Develop Community Solar Project
- Nestle Debuts Sustainable Dairy Farming Initiative
- 2021 Renewable Energy Market Analysis
- 2021 State of Distributed Energy Resources Study
- Leveraging New Technologies to Modernize Infrastructure and Improve Energy Efficiency in America's Cities
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings