Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - March 29, 2018
Walmart brings Project Gigaton to China
Walmart announced on Mar. 29 the launch of Project Gigaton in China, aimed at reducing greenhouse gas emissions across its China value chain by 50 million metric tons by 2030. The company expects to enroll all of its export and domestic suppliers in China into this emissions reduction program, starting with 100 of its top suppliers. To help provide resources to suppliers in China, Walmart has created a digital resource center in Mandarin and English with tools, case studies, and program resources on emissions reduction.
“As a global company, we are proud to use our reach to help create a more sustainable future, for our customers, associates, and the communities we serve,” said Doug McMillon, Walmart’s president and CEO in a statement. “We believe that business can accelerate environmental progress while delivering economic growth. That’s why we’re committed to taking a shared value approach to our work in China and around the world.”
China’s Project Gigaton goal builds upon Walmart’s Factory Energy Efficiency Program, begun in 2014 as a way for the company to promote energy efficiency among its suppliers in China. The program exceeded its goal to have 70 percent of its China-sourced export businesses participating in the factory energy efficiency program by the end of 2017.
Project Gigaton was first announced by Walmart in April 2017 as an initiative to engage its suppliers in targeting an elimination of 1 gigaton of greenhouse gas emissions by 2030 from operations and supply chains. Walmart was the first retailer to set an emissions-reduction plan approved by the Science Based Targets initiative. Project Gigaton falls under this plan, in alignment with the Paris Climate Agreement.
- Webinar: Walmart's Project Gigaton - Driving RE in the supply chain
- Infographic: Walmart's Project Gigaton in China
- SED launches Supply Chain Initiative
- Walmart reports Project Gigaton progress, offers emissions calculator
- DE Forum Presentation: Walmart's Distributed Energy Journey - Past, Present and Future
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey