Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Sourcing Renewables - October 12, 2018
Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Drive Innovation and Clean Energy
With a green, high-performance lease, landlords and tenants can better work together to save billions of dollars and lock in smarter, more efficient operation of buildings. Since its inception in 2014, the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) and the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Better Buildings Alliance’ Green Lease Leaders recognition program has grown to include firms that represent more than 1.8 billion square feet of building space—a clear indication that green leasing is no longer considered an exception, rather it is becoming best practice across real estate markets.
A study by the Institute for Market Transformation (IMT) shows that green leases have the potential to reduce energy consumption in U.S. office buildings by as much as 22%. This research shows that when executed, green leases have the potential to provide the leased U.S. office market alone $3.3 billion in annual cost savings.
A new report, “Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Drive Innovation and Clean Energy,” highlights companies that are enabling sustainability investments via their lease clauses, including:
- Brixmor Property Group’s expansion of green lease terms includes onsite renewable energy generation purchase requirements.
- Digital Realty’s successful procurement of zero-emissions renewable energy and its comprehensive renewable energy credit program.
- Kilroy Realty Corporation’s pioneering green leasing efforts and its integration of broker education on the value of high-performance buildings and market trends.
- Rocky Mountain Institute, Morgan Creek Ventures, Coburn, Packard Dierking, and Holland & Hart collaborative efforts to use green leasing towards maintaining net-zero building operations success.
Download the report to discover best practices that every real estate or sustainability practitioner should consider when leasing property:
- Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Make Buildings More Healthy and Efficient
- Green Lease Leaders: Using the Lease to Galvanize Landlord-Tenant Engagement and Higher Performing Buildings
- Green Lease Leaders: How Industrial Building Owners Use the Lease to Optimize Sustainable Business Practices
- Green Lease Leader: Green Leasing Spurs Efficiency Improvements in Cleveland Businesses and City Building
- Navigating a successful energy project proposal
Industry News: SED's Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum goes VIRTUAL July 27-29, 2020
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World