JetBlue marks Earth Month with Decarbonization Efforts - Smart Energy Decisions

Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions  -  April 2, 2021

JetBlue Marks Earth Month with Decarbonization Efforts

JetBlue announced on April 1 a set of short and medium terms ESG targets, including several focusing on achieving net zero carbon emissions by 2040  and expanding usage of sustainable aviation fuels as part of its celebration of Earth Month.

JetBlue’s carbon reduction efforts focus on decreasing emissions through fuel-efficient operations, aircraft, and usage of sustainable aviation fuels. The company set a goal to decrease aircraft emissions by 25% per available seat mile by 2030 from 2015 levels, excluding offsets.

A statement from the company noted that in 2020, JetBlue became the first U.S. airline to achieve carbon neutrality for all domestic flying, today primarily through carbon offsets while the industry builds up lower-carbon technologies to reduce direct emissions.

“Our vision is to lead the way to a lower-carbon future for aviation. To get there, we are focused on innovations that offer meaningful reductions in emissions – and are setting clear targets along the way,” said Joanna Geraghty, president and chief operating officer, JetBlue. “We’re facing climate change head-on and are seeking opportunities to reduce natural resource consumption, such as increasing use of renewable energy and minimizing waste produced.”

Additionally, JetBlue has set targets to convert 10% of total jet fuel to be from blended sustainable aviation fuel by 2030 and 40% of three main ground service equipment vehicle types to electric by 2025 and 50% by 2030.

Tags: JetBlue

« Back to Energy Management

  • LinkedIn
  • Subscribe

Smart Energy Decisions Content Partners