Energy Efficiency - June 16, 2021
FDNY Adds Ambulances Enabled with Efficiency Software
The Fire Department of New York (FDNY) will soon be adding 184 ambulances to its fleet that feature idle mitigation technology and fleet intelligence software powered by Microsoft Azure.
With this new addition, FDNY will have 500 such ambulances in its fleet by the end of the year. The vehicles will be provided by Stealth Power and offer controls to manage the operational efficiency of a vehicle or a whole fleet and sensors that collect data and send it to Azure for further optimization.
Stealth Power’s idle mitigation and fleet optimization technology is expected to reduce fuel use by up to 30% every month, further helping with the conversion of fleets to electric models. This is particularly useful considering the 12 hours a day that ambulances would usually stand idle in New York City before using the idle mitigation system.
“We share Stealth Power’s commitment to a clean, efficient future informed by data,” Kirk Lonbom, director of public safety and justice strategy and U.S. state and local government at Microsoft, said in a statement. “Stealth Power’s Fleet Intelligence platform powered by Microsoft Azure demonstrates the real-world value of their idle mitigation technology and we’re pleased to see continued adoption of their solutions.”
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers