Commercial, Demand Management, Energy Efficiency, Distributed Generation, Solar - February 23, 2017
Revolutionary 'Apple Park' will be solar powered
Photo of Apple Park's ring-shaped main building provided by Apple.
Apple Inc. announced Feb. 22 that its new 175-acre campus, named Apple Park, which will be powered entirely with renewable energy, will be ready for employees to begin occupying in April.
With 17 MW of rooftop solar, Apple said in a news release that the Northern California campus will run one of the largest onsite solar energy installations in the world. It is also the site of the world's largest naturally ventilated building, projected to require no heating or air conditioning for nine months of the year. The campus' ring-shaped, 2.8 million-square-foot main building is clad entirely in the world's largest panels of curved glass.
Apple said the process of moving more than 12,000 people will take over six months, and construction of the buildings and parklands is scheduled to continue through the summer. A video of the campus is embedded below.
The company, which has committed to running its global operations with 100% renewable energy and last year received approval to sell power into wholesale electric markets in the U.S., said Apple Park had been envisioned by Steve Jobs as a center for creativity and collaboration and is transforming miles of asphalt sprawl into a haven of green space in the heart of the Santa Clara Valley.
"Steve's vision for Apple stretched far beyond his time with us. He intended Apple Park to be the home of innovation for generations to come," Apple CEO Tim Cook said in a statement. "The workspaces and parklands are designed to inspire our team as well as benefit the environment. and the campus will run entirely on renewable energy."
- Big tech drives clean energy record
- Apple, IKEA, Tesla among climate policy leaders
- Apple goes global with 100% RE
- Apple CEO: Wind access 'paramount' for data centers
- Apple approved for largest wind turbines in Oregon
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey