Commercial, Energy Efficiency, Commercial, Solar - April 3, 2017
Verizon targets 48 MW of green power by 2025
Already a leader in energy efficiency and smart store design, Verizon has also ventured into using "green energy" as it works toward meeting broader sustainability goals.
According to the company's recently published corporate sustainability report, Verizon has incorporated 24 MW of green energy, which it says includes solar and fuel cells, into its facilities since 2014. By 2025, it hopes to double that total.
"As part of our sustainable building efforts, our mobile switching centers in Fairfield, Calif., Mililani Town, Hawaii, and Wall, N.J., generated 1.5 million kilowatt-hours of renewable, solar energy in 2016," the company said in its report.
The company also continued work in energy efficiency. According to the report, Verizon has 320 total LEED-certified stores in its portfolio, and 100% of its eligible retail stores were Energy Star certified in 2016. In total, the 221 of Verizon's buildings, including retail stores, offices and distribution centers were Energy Star certified in 2016. Verizon received Energy Star's partner of the year award in 2016 for sustained excellence in recognition for its commitment to cutting its companywide carbon intensity in half by 2020, and for promoting energy efficiency awareness among customers and employees.
Overall, the company said it reduced carbon intensity by 54% in 2016 compared to a 2009 baseline, surpassing its 2020 goal four years ahead of schedule.
- Verizon, GM among C&I names that earned 2016 Energy Star recognition
- Verizon aims for efficiency with 'smart store' design
- AT&T, Verizon asked to 'hang up on fossil fuels'
- Solar helps Target reduce energy use
- Energy innovation earns Chevy plant top EPA award
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Shining Cities 2019 - The Top U.S. Cities for Solar Energy
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Delta Force - Driving Energy Efficiency at UVA
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy