Commercial, Energy Efficiency - December 8, 2017
Verizon replaces 200+ NYC vans with hybrid electric
Image of one of Verizon's new hybrid-electric trucks is seen in this photo provided by XL Hybrids.
Joining an increasing number of companies looking to increase the efficiency of their fleets, Verizon Communications Inc. recently replaced 234 of its existing gas-powered vans with hybrid-electric vans for use in New York City.
Verizon purchased the new vans using rebates offered through the New York Truck Voucher Incentive Program, according to a Dec. 7 news release from Verizon and the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority, known as NYSERDA. It is the largest purchase of new vans in the history of the program, and supports the state's aggressive clean energy goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions 40% by 2030, the two entities said.
The 234 new Verizon vans feature technology installed by XL Hybrids Inc., and will increase fuel economy and reduce carbon dioxide emissions. While Verizon has upgraded some of its fleet to hybrids in the past, this is the largest commitment it has made to date, according to the release. The new vans will help Verizon achieve its corporate goal of reducing its carbon intensity by 50% over the next decade.
"Given the size of our company and the number of people we connect across the globe, Verizon has a unique opportunity and responsibility to have a positive impact on the environment," Verizon Chief Sustainability Officer James Gowen said in a statement. "We've deployed more than 24 megawatts of green energy capacity in the last five years with plans to deploy 24 more by 2025. And with the addition of these hybrid vehicles, our fleet is as efficient as ever as we continue to use less fuel year after year. We thank NYSERDA for their partnership in helping to make this happen."
- Bloomberg LP to purchase energy from NY wind farm
- Verizon sets clean energy goal
- Verizon signs 13 renewable energy agreements
- NYSERDA advances offshore wind projects at two state ports
- Verizon inks four new RE agreements
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Goldman Sachs to offer employees clean home energy
- Land O'Lakes launches carbon program; Microsoft is its first buyer
- Weekend reads: How a Northern Virginia county joined a solar agreement with Amazon; The 2021 outlook for DERs
- Weekend reads: French energy company Total ditches Big Oil; Honolulu's path to carbon neutrality