Commercial, Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Storage, Utilities, Distributed Generation, Solar - December 11, 2017
Massachusetts awards $20M in energy storage grants
A proposal from Advanced Microgrid Systems to install energy storage systems at two Walmart locations in Massachusetts is one of 26 projects that have been awarded funding totaling over $20 million from the state's Department of Energy Resources.
As part of the state's Energy Storage Initiative, which aims to have at least 200 MWh of energy storage deployed by 2020, the department has granted the funding across various use applications from residential to behind the meter C&I and grid-level.
The Walmart projects, as proposed, would be undertaken by AMS and National Grid and paired with software controls, according to a summary of the projects released by the Massachusetts DOER. One of the projects would be also be paired with existing solar PV. The active demand management system would reduce peak load and provide seasonal, dispatchable peak demand management, according to the proposal.
Projects being undertaken by Tesla, General Electric and EnerNOC were also among those to receive funding; Tesla's commercial application is for a lithium-ion battery storage system at the Wynn Boston Harbor hotel and casino. Previous reports on the property's energy systems indicated that the energy storage project will complement two cogeneration plants, rooftop solar and LED lighting.
The Boston Business Journal on Dec. 7 quoted DOER commissioner Judith Judson as saying about the state initiative:
In essence, we have an electric grid that was designed without storage. It was designed to have as much infrastructure that is needed to run in the top 15 minutes of a year. We've set up a system and grid and rules around an industry that didn't really have storage available. Now that do we need to rethink things, and that's why these demonstrations are so valuable.
- Walmart's inaugural ESG Report
- Walmart signs 46 solar PPAs across 5 states
- Walmart signs for community solar in MN
- DE Forum Presentation: Walmart's Distributed Energy Journey - Past, Present and Future
- Walmart working with Tesla to fix faulty solar panels
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Corporate PPAs to account for 20% of new RE generation in the U.S. by 2030
- The Home Depot inks PPA with solar + storage in Texas
- Intel to receive 100 MW from new Arizona solar project
- Finding Balance: The Yin and Yang of Sustainable Energy Management
- Driving Resiliency Through Your Organization's Energy Infrastructure
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 2: Long-Term Decarbonization Strategies
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution