Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Industrial - May 22, 2018
3M reveals energy efficiency progress
3M announced that it has improved global energy efficiency by 30% and increased global renewable energy by 25%. These metrics are part of the company’s 2025 Global Scorecard, released with its 2018 Sustainability Report.
3M also reported it has reduced Scope 1 GHG emissions by 76.4% from a 2002 baseline "providing a direct and immediate reduction in our impact on the environment." During this same timeframe, the company achieved a 68.1% reduction in absolute Scope 1 and 2 Location-based GHG emissions. The report noted, "What makes these reductions even more impressive is that they occurred even as the company grew sales and production during this timeframe."
The company announced that it has formed the Sustainability and Product Stewardship Organization, to be led by Dr. Gayle Schueller, vice president and chief sustainability officer, 3M Research & Development, effective June 1.
"This new organization reflects the importance of our corporate sustainability function and will enable synergies across multiple product stewardship and environmental functions," said Dr. John Banovetz, senior vice president, 3M Research & Development and chief technology officer.
3M’s 2025 sustainability goals for climate and energy include:
- Improve energy efficiency indexed to net sales by 30%
- Increase renewable energy to 25% of total electricity use
- Ensure GHG emissions at least 50% below our 2002 baseline, while growing our business
- Help our customers reduce their GHGs by 250 million tons of CO2 equivalent emissions through use of 3M products
- Infographic & Video: Data Driven—Advancing a sustainable future
- 3M flips the switch to 100% RE
- Case study: 3M's road to ISO 50001, SEP certification
- Nonutility buyers comprised 37% of wind PPAs in Q1
- Zahroof Valves named finalist for energy, sustainability in annual Edison Awards
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business