Energy Efficiency, Industrial, Sourcing Renewables - July 6, 2018
VW to offer e-vehicle car sharing
Volkswagen announced plans to launch a carsharing program in 2019 using electric vehicles. The program will begin in Germany and expand to major cities in Europe, North America, and Asia in 2020 and will focus on core VW brand cars.
In a statement from the company, Jürgen Stackmann, Volkswagen Brand Board Member for Sales, said, "We are convinced that the car sharing market still has potential. That is why we are entering this market with a holistic single-source concept covering all mobility needs from the short journey that takes just a few minutes to the long vacation trip." He added, "Our vehicle-on-demand fleets will consist entirely of electric cars, and will therefore provide zero-emission, sustainable mobility. That is an intelligent way to relieve the strain on urban areas."
The company’s vehicle-on-demand services wil also include micro-mobility solutions from the company's WE/We customer platform, which may include parking apps and location-based vouchering.
Volkswagen WE/We platform will be managed by UMI (Urban Mobility International), a wholly-owned subsidiary of Volkswagen AG. CEO Philip Reth commented, "Our customers expect an environmentally-friendly fleet that takes them to their destination quickly and at a fair price – and that is exactly the experience we will be delivering."
- Volkswagen Targets Carbon Neutrality by 2050
- Michigan school district purchases low-emission school buses
- Volkswagen plans 750 EV charger installations in Germany for 2021
- Volkswagen to convert Tenn. plant to EV development hub
- Volkswagen to increase EV production by 50%
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- 7-Eleven Plans 500 New EV Chargers for North American Stores
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Georgetown University Partnership Boosts Energy Efficiency, Sustainability Goals
- Netflix unveils 2022 net zero ambition
- Starbucks Commissions Community Solar Projects for New York State
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook