Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - July 11, 2018
J. Kings premiers HQ rooftop solar
J. Kings, a Long-Island based food and beverage distributor, announced on July 10 the completion of a 771-kilowatt rooftop solar system at their Holtsville headquarters and distribution facility. The system was developed to both reduce the company’s carbon’s footprint and create significant financial benefit.
According to a statement, the system will reduce J. Kings’ dependence on the grid by offsetting a significant portion of their annual power usage. The environmental benefits of the project are estimated as equivalent to reducing the release of CO2 emissions by approximately 1,262,000 pounds annually, or the equivalent of saving over 64,000 gallons of gas per year.
"J. Kings has been serving the Long Island community since 1974, and continues to look for new ways to innovate as a business, and to be responsible neighbors," said John King, chief customer officer. Going solar was simply a natural extension of that commitment."
The project was supported by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA) under NY-Sun, a $1 billion initiative launched by Governor Cuomo in 2014 to advance the scale-up of solar-generated electricity and move New York State closer to having a sustainable, self-sufficient solar industry.
J. King worked with EnterSolar on developing the project, including financing structures, engineering, installation and project management. The system will be maintained by MaxSolar, EnterSolar’s operations and maintenance arm.
"When you think about the massive amount of power required at J. Kings – particularly the large-scale refrigerators and freezers that are required to keep their products fresh, it is gratifying to be able to help them reduce their dependence on the grid,” said Steven Engelmann, director, EnterSolar. "Projects like this one alleviate grid stress and help NYS achieve their renewable energy goals while providing local business the chance to reduce operating costs."
- Solar powers economic development in Rhode Island
- Cutting edge energy efficiency, solar tech design on display at Cornell University's new NYC campus
- The U.S. Tax Overhaul: What Does It Mean for Corporate Solar Projects?
- Continental premieres largest rooftop community solar in NY
- Tour Amazon's rooftop solar system
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- A Comparison of Fuel Choice for Backup Generators
- Capturing the Full Value of Renewable Energy for Businesses in ERCOT
- Benchmarking and Transparency: Resources for State and Local Leaders
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report