Energy Efficiency - September 4, 2018
GM racing toward faster EV charging
General Motors is developing an extreme fast charger that can deliver up to 180 miles of range to an electric car, such as the Chevy Bolt EV, in 10 minutes. A prototype is expected to be ready by 2020.
A report by Green Car Reports said GM has committed to building a prototype car to work with the new charging system, but says it will not be a production Bolt EV. Plans call for a prototype electric car that will charge up to 180 miles in 10 minutes for a recharge rate of 18 miles per minute. Currently, the Bolt can recharge at 50-kw DC fast charge stations at a rate of about 3 miles per minute.
GM is working with Delta Electronics funded by a grant from the Department of Energy to build the prototype. The project will use solid-state transformers, according to Delta Electronics, and deliver up to 400-kw of power.
Green Car Reports noted that other automakers working on extreme fast charging include Porsche and Aston Martin, which are both working on new 800-volt battery architectures. Porsche says its system will be able to replenish up to 240 miles of range in a 15-minute recharge when it's connected to a 350-kw DC fast charger.
GM is currently developing 20 new electric cars for sale by 2023, some of which may use the new extreme fast charger technology.
- General Motors revamps lighting for efficiency
- GM boosts Bolt EV by 20%
- GM moves towards an electrified future
- We believe in an all-electric future, here’s what we’re doing today to get there
- GM gains more wind power in Ohio
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill, Ardent Mills complete agreement with Texas solar farm
- Smart Energy Voices Podcast Digs Deep with Industry Movers and Shakers
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?