Industrial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - October 10, 2018
Clif Bar adds region’s largest solar system
Clif Bar Baking Company announced the start of construction on a new solar system at its Twin Falls, Idaho location. The two-megawatt system, including five acres of solar panels, will be installed on a portion of the property that includes parking structures and a pollinator garden.
A report by Magic Valley said the system will generate more than 3 million kilowatt-hours annually from about 6,000 solar panels, which will supply about 30% of the bakery’s electricity needs. Since the bakery operates seven days a week, it is expected to use all the solar energy as it is generated during the daytime.
The solar array is being constructed by Borrego Solar, which said the project is the largest behind-the-meter, customer-owned solar system in Idaho Power’s service area.
Borrego Solar is the contractor for the solar array, which should be completed by June 2019. Idaho Power Regional Manager Ryan Adelman said this is the largest “behind-the-meter” customer-owned solar system in its service area.
Clif Bar currently purchases RECs for all of its bakery’s power. The report noted, “The bakery has also extended its green-power commitment to its supply chain. By 2020, Clif Bar aims to encourage 50 of its suppliers to source 50 percent or more of “green power” for the energy they use on Clif Bar’s behalf.” To date. 44 of the company’s suppliers have reached the goal.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- GM partners on largest EV charging network
- Bloomberg, Salesforce, The Gap and others aggregate for VPPA
- The Home Depot announces new targets and RE initiatives
- Corporations shatter record for clean energy PPAs
- Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019