Energy Efficiency - October 19, 2018
City of Lincoln retrofits to LED
The City of Lincoln, Neb. will undertake a city-wide street lighting retrofit project that will improve the city’s safety and sustainability efforts while reducing its utility budget by 38%. The $12.2 million project will provide the City with significant annual energy and maintenance savings.
"We’re excited to further our commitment to sustainability and save taxpayer dollars," said Lincoln Mayor Chris Beutler in a statement. "We will use the cost savings on this project to pay for the improvements and then we’ll invest in other important initiatives to make our community safer and more attractive to residents, businesses and visitors."
By converting its 26,799 street lights to LED technology, the City expects to offer higher energy efficiency to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and energy consumption, offer better visibility and improved safety for city residents, and reduce maintenance costs due to longer lifespan compared to traditional street lamps. The improved lighting will affect both residential and commercial spaces, providing a more well-lit area to improve safety across the city.
The statement noted that this builds on the Lincoln Environmental Action Plan sustainability initiatives and goals currently underway within the city. The City is also looking to invest in local libraries, parks and recreation facilities, treatment plants and other facilities in a similar manner to the approach being taken with the street light system.
Construction will begin in October and is expected to be complete by mid-2019. Schneider Electric is working with the City on this project.
- Bowery Farming to add microgrid
- Collaborative Offsite PPA Structures for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Marine Corp microgrid set for expansion
- Port of Long Beach to add microgrid
- RESF Fall presentation: Kohler's journey in RE sourcing
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey