Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - November 5, 2018
Facebook to power Ala. data center via two solar facilities
Facebook’s new data center, currently under construction in Huntsville, Alabama, will be powered with 100% renewable energy via the combined 377-megawatt output from two solar installations to be built in Tennessee and Alabama as the largest in each state.
The Tennessee Valley Authority announced on Nov. 2 an agreement with two solar developers for these installations. A 150-megawatt facility in Lincoln Country, Tenn., will be developed by NextEra Energy Resources. A 227-megawatt installation will be located in Colbert County, Ala., and developed by First Solar.
"We are committed to supporting our operations with 100 percent renewable energy and look to partner with organizations like TVA who offer solutions to help meet that goal," said Bryce Dalley, energy manager, Facebook. "TVA has been a great, responsive partner, and we are looking forward to being a part of the community in Huntsville."
"TVA's commitment to the environment and our diverse portfolio are among the top reasons why businesses choose to relocate to the Valley," said John Bradley, TVA's senior vice president of Economic Development. "TVA's ability to deliver large amounts of renewable, reliable energy at competitive rates makes the Valley an attractive place to do business and recruit quality jobs."
Facebook has committed to support all of its data centers and offices with 100 percent renewable energy by 2020. Their Huntsville data center was announced in June and is expected to become operational in 2020.
- Facebook signs green tariff for Utah data center
- Facebook plans new data center in Alabama
- BYD and Buffet form e-bus venture
- Facebook signs wind PPA in Norway
- Facebook and Adobe sign wind PPA in Nebraska
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- GM partners on largest EV charging network
- Bloomberg, Salesforce, The Gap and others aggregate for VPPA
- The Home Depot announces new targets and RE initiatives
- Corporations shatter record for clean energy PPAs
- Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019