Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 3, 2019
JFK, LGA, EWR add electric bus fleets
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will deploy 18 electric vehicles for shuttle service at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA), representing one of the largest electric bus fleet commitments of any airport authority in the U.S. Six of the battery-electric buses are already in service at JFK, with LGA and EWR to each implement six more in 2019.
These zero-emission vehicles support the Port Authority’s goal to use a 100% electric airport shuttle bus fleet. "The Port Authority continues to look for innovative and eco-friendly ways to support the growth of its airports," said Rick Cotton, executive director of Port Authority, in a statement. "By providing a more sustainable airport and delivering an enhanced passenger experience, we are continuing our commitment to reduce the agency's carbon footprint."
According to the statement, using 18 battery-electric of these buses instead of diesel vehicles can avoid approximately 49.5 million pounds of CO2 emissions over the 12-year lifespan of the buses and save more than 2 million gallons of diesel fuel. In addition to the environmental benefits, the new electric buses are expected to positively impact the Port Authority's bottom line due to reduced maintenance and operating costs.
The electric buses have been sourced from Proterra, which recently delivered five electric buses to the Metropolitan Transit Authority of New York as part of the MTA’s first deployment of electric buses.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers
- Better Plants 2021 Progress Update