Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 3, 2019
JFK, LGA, EWR add electric bus fleets
The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey will deploy 18 electric vehicles for shuttle service at John F. Kennedy International Airport (JFK), Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) and LaGuardia Airport (LGA), representing one of the largest electric bus fleet commitments of any airport authority in the U.S. Six of the battery-electric buses are already in service at JFK, with LGA and EWR to each implement six more in 2019.
These zero-emission vehicles support the Port Authority’s goal to use a 100% electric airport shuttle bus fleet. "The Port Authority continues to look for innovative and eco-friendly ways to support the growth of its airports," said Rick Cotton, executive director of Port Authority, in a statement. "By providing a more sustainable airport and delivering an enhanced passenger experience, we are continuing our commitment to reduce the agency's carbon footprint."
According to the statement, using 18 battery-electric of these buses instead of diesel vehicles can avoid approximately 49.5 million pounds of CO2 emissions over the 12-year lifespan of the buses and save more than 2 million gallons of diesel fuel. In addition to the environmental benefits, the new electric buses are expected to positively impact the Port Authority's bottom line due to reduced maintenance and operating costs.
The electric buses have been sourced from Proterra, which recently delivered five electric buses to the Metropolitan Transit Authority of New York as part of the MTA’s first deployment of electric buses.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- 7-Eleven Plans 500 New EV Chargers for North American Stores
- Ford's New Science-Based Targets Revealed
- Georgetown University Partnership Boosts Energy Efficiency, Sustainability Goals
- Netflix unveils 2022 net zero ambition
- Starbucks Commissions Community Solar Projects for New York State
- Setting Sustainability Goals and Meeting Them with Reduction Targets
- The Essential Guide to Marketing Renewable Energy Achievements
- Ohio Public Schools Partner with EDP Renewables to Go Green
- The State of Demand-Side Energy Management in North America
- How to Kick-Start the Carbon Removal Market: Shopify's Playbook