Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Commercial, Industrial - February 6, 2019
C&Is in Illinois, Massachusetts lead with LEED
Illinois achieved the lead position on the U.S. Green Building Council’s 2018 list of Top 10 States for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The ranking of states based on the number of LEED-certified square feet per person placed Massachusetts in second place, followed by Washington, New York, and Texas. Rounding out the top 10 are Colorado, Hawaii, Virginia, California, and Maryland.
Buildings that are LEED-certified create healthier spaces for people, as well as use less energy and water, reduce carbon emissions and save money for families, businesses and taxpayers,” according to a statement from the Council. “Over the past 25 years, the U.S. Green Building Council, its member companies and the green building community have come together to make our planet stronger, greener and more sustainable through LEED," said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC.
As the number one state for LEED certification in 2018, Illinois certified 172 green building projects representing 5.31 square feet of LEED-certified space per resident. This is the first time Illinois has taken the top spot since 2015. Washington and Texas also returned to the Top 10, securing the highest rankings in each states' history. The Top 10 list is based on 2010 U.S. Census data and includes commercial and institutional green building projects certified throughout 2018.
According to the statement, client demand remains the top reason to build green in the U.S. and occupant health and well-being emerged as the top social factor.
- Vans HQ achieves LEED Platinum rating
- Washington D.C. is world's 1st LEED Platinum city
- EV charging helps property earn LEED Platinum
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- GM partners on largest EV charging network
- Bloomberg, Salesforce, The Gap and others aggregate for VPPA
- The Home Depot announces new targets and RE initiatives
- Corporations shatter record for clean energy PPAs
- Final agenda and opening keynote announced for 2019 Innovation Summit
- Establishment Labs Deploys Microgrid to Maintain Manufacturing Operations During Grid Outages
- EV100 Progress and Insights Annual Report
- Mexico's Energy Market Reform: Navigating the Challenges and Opportunities in the Competitive Supply Market
- Monetizing Energy Assets for Data Centers
- What to Expect from Energy Markets in 2019