Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions, Commercial, Industrial - February 6, 2019
C&Is in Illinois, Massachusetts lead with LEED
Illinois achieved the lead position on the U.S. Green Building Council’s 2018 list of Top 10 States for LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). The ranking of states based on the number of LEED-certified square feet per person placed Massachusetts in second place, followed by Washington, New York, and Texas. Rounding out the top 10 are Colorado, Hawaii, Virginia, California, and Maryland.
Buildings that are LEED-certified create healthier spaces for people, as well as use less energy and water, reduce carbon emissions and save money for families, businesses and taxpayers,” according to a statement from the Council. “Over the past 25 years, the U.S. Green Building Council, its member companies and the green building community have come together to make our planet stronger, greener and more sustainable through LEED," said Mahesh Ramanujam, president and CEO, USGBC.
As the number one state for LEED certification in 2018, Illinois certified 172 green building projects representing 5.31 square feet of LEED-certified space per resident. This is the first time Illinois has taken the top spot since 2015. Washington and Texas also returned to the Top 10, securing the highest rankings in each states' history. The Top 10 list is based on 2010 U.S. Census data and includes commercial and institutional green building projects certified throughout 2018.
According to the statement, client demand remains the top reason to build green in the U.S. and occupant health and well-being emerged as the top social factor.
- Vans HQ achieves LEED Platinum rating
- Washington D.C. is world's 1st LEED Platinum city
- EV charging helps property earn LEED Platinum
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Check out some of the key moments at SED's Innovation Summit!
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Delta Force - Driving Energy Efficiency at UVA
- Aurora Public Schools Energy Management System
- Innovation Summit Presentation: The Evolution of Sustainable Operations at Bloomberg
- Michigan State's long-term view on renewable energy
- Innovation Summit Presentation: Collaboration Enables Merck to Take a Huge, Sustainable Leap Forward