Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - February 12, 2019
Comcast adds carport to call center
Comcast announced the completion of a 1,170-panel carport solar installation that will help power its regional call center in Plymouth, Mass. The system will generate enough onsite clean energy to offset more than 95% of the facility's annual energy consumption.
"Technology, innovation, and talent are at the core of everything Comcast does, and generating clean energy on-site at our Plymouth facility demonstrates our commitment to a culture of sustainability to promote a cleaner, healthier environment," said Tracy Pitcher, senior vice president of Comcast's Greater Boston Region, in a statement.
Comcast worked with Sunpower to install the parking lot-based solar array, and also enabled the installation of two dual-port electric vehicle (EV) charging stations beneath the solar panel canopy with the ability to charge four vehicles simultaneously. The system provides the added benefit of providing covered parking spots for employees during inclement and hot weather conditions.
Leading up to the solar system installation, Comcast converted its Plymouth facility to LED lighting, as it has done at numerous New England sites. The statement noted that this holistic approach to energy management delivered increased efficiency and eliminated more than 200,000-kilowatt hours of power usage annually at Plymouth.
The Plymouth solar project is the latest in an ongoing series of sustainability efforts implemented in Comcast's New England footprint, including an upgrade to high-efficiency equipment and cooling systems in data centers and installation of LED lights and fixtures at dozens of its largest offices and call centers. Additionally, five EV charging station sites have been installed across the area with more planned for 2019.
- Walmart plans 23 MW Illinois solar farm
- Solar comes to the (Bose) mountain
- Comcast adds solar array, EV charging
- Bed Bath & Beyond adds solar to corporate office
- Zyxel flips switch on new HQ solar system
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Experience unparalleled peer networking at the RE Sourcing Forum
- Taking a Utility Platform Player position for your customers... and society
- Execution Excellence, Innovative Solution, and Customer Centricity: A Winning Approach to Making an Impossible Mission Possible
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - the benefits of distributed energy resources for your business
- Insights from the 2019 Innovation Summit
- Webinar replay: Integration Innovation - The benefits of DERs for your business