Energy Efficiency, Energy Storage, Solar - June 13, 2019
Solar + storage to power College District
West Valley-Mission Community College District (WVMCCD) will deploy a fully integrated solar and storage project across its West Valley and Mission College campuses located in California's Silicon Valley.
The project is funded through local Measure W, which authorizes the District to issue bonds to finance facility and technology updates. The District will own its solar power system, with SunPower providing operations and maintenance, as well as a performance guarantee for 25 years. Construction is planned to commence this fall, with completion expected in 2020.
"Our district has a long-standing commitment to creating environmentally responsible and highly sustainable campuses for students, faculty, and staff," said Ed Maduli, Vice Chancellor of Administrative Services, WVMCCD. "Renewable energy from SunPower has proven to be a valuable investment and a critical component to reaching our goals, and we look forward to building on our efforts with storage which will allow us to avoid expensive utility demand charges for years to come."
WVMCCD will install SunPower® Helix® Carport systems, totaling 5.4 megawatts, which will allow the District to offset approximately 75% of grid electricity use with solar energy. A Helix Storage system will be installed at each campus, totaling a combined 2 megawatts (3,800 kilowatt hours) and delivering significant demand charge savings to WVMCCD.
This solar-plus-storage project is the second collaboration between WVMCCD and SunPower solar initiative will be the second for WVMCCD. Solar carports were installed in 2011, a total of 2.2-megawatts at the West Valley and Mission College campuses, generating an estimated $860,000 in electricity savings each year to the District. The colleges are also home to a total of five U.S. Green Building Council LEED certified buildings, and feature drought-tolerant landscaping and bioswales across campuses.
- Comcast adds carport to call center
- Walmart plans 23 MW Illinois solar farm
- Bed Bath & Beyond adds solar to corporate office
- Zyxel flips switch on new HQ solar system
- Gap Inc. signs 20-year PPA with Calif. solar farm
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- Innovation Awards winners announced
- Planet Fitness announces 1st solar powered gym
- Weekend reads: CDP's global reach; a 40,000% power price spike
- The Home Depot, AT&T, Duke Energy featured in latest Beyond the Meter episodes
- Atlanta cuts energy use ahead of 2020 goal