Distributed Energy Resources, Energy Efficiency, Solar - September 19, 2019
Empire State Plaza overhauls efficiency program
Empire State Plaza in Albany is planned to undergo comprehensive energy efficiency and resiliency upgrades in addition to the development of a solar project to power its operations, facilitated by the New York Power Authority and Office of General Services as a means to meet the state's goal for 100% clean energy by 2040.
NYPA and OGS announced Sept. 19 their collaboration on a large-scale remote solar array in Oneida County that will provide up to half of Empire Plaza's power needs. The proposal calls for the project to be built on state-owned land near the former Oneida County airport, as well as to include on-site solar panels and electrical energy storage to further reduce fossil fuel dependency.
Other efficiency upgrades to the facility include a $50 million project to replace the existing on-site emergency generators with state-of-the-art efficient, low-emission and low-noise units; a nearly $30 million electrification upgrade to one of the on-site steam-driven chillers to reduce local gas use and emissions by 18%; and a $16 million initiative to install LED lighting technology throughout the entire plaza complex to reduce energy use and statewide greenhouse gas emissions. These improvements will all allow OGS to exceed its goal of increasing energy efficiency at its facilities by 20% by 2020.
"Using reliable, efficient methods to power the Empire State Plaza and working to meet Governor Cuomo’s energy goals are priorities for the OGS team, so we are very pleased to begin developing the solar project," OGS Commissioner RoAnn Destito said in a statement. "Removing the smoke-stack from the former ANSWERS facility in the Sheridan Hollow neighborhood, upgrading the chillers and expanding our LED lighting program are further examples of our commitment to climate leadership in New York State."
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers