Commercial, Sourcing Renewables, Wind - October 23, 2019
Walmart enters into two wind VPPAs totaling 366 MW
Walmart entered into two VPPAs to procure more than 366 MW from wind projects in different U.S. energy markets all under a single procurement process, advancing the company toward its goal of powering 50% of operations with renewable energy by the end of 2025.
Under the agreement with ENGIE US Wind, Walmart will purchase 166 MW from the Prairie Hill project in Texas and 200 MW from the King Plains farm in Oklahoma, both of which are currently under construction. The power acquired from these projects will go on to match electricity load in Walmart stores, Sam’s Clubs and distribution centers throughout parts of the ERCOT and Southwest Power Pool markets.
“Sourcing from wind energy projects — like these from ENGIE — is a core component in the mix to meet our goals,” Mark Vanderhelm, Vice President of Energy for Walmart, said in a statement. “The energy we'll procure from these facilities represents an important leap forward on our renewable energy journey and reinforces Walmart’s broader mission to spark collective action — alongside key partners — to drive environmental sustainability.”
Walmart recently signed additional VPPA’s with ENGIE to source wind power, including 150 MW from its Triple H wind project in South Dakota. The addition of the two VPPAs with wind farms in Texas and Oklahoma bring its total wind portfolio to 500 MW.
- Walmart Closes on Inaugural $2 Billion Green Bond
- Walmart Reflects on 51 Solar Projects Installed Across Locations
- Walmart Issues First-Ever Green Bond at $2 Billion
- Walmart Subscribes to NY Community Solar Projects
- New Indiana Wind Farm Serves Facebook and Walmart
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers