Solar, Sourcing Renewables - November 26, 2019
Cincinnati plans nation's largest municipal solar project
The City of Cincinnati has in the works the largest municipal solar project in the country, a 100 MW project expected to reduce the region’s annual carbon emissions by 158,000 tons.
The solar array will provide clean energy to all city facilities and be available to city residents through the Cincinnati Electric Aggregation Program. The city signed a PPA that will enable them to purchase electricity from the system at a fixed rate for the full 20 years of the contract, with zero costs upfront.
“Cities need to take action – and that’s exactly what Cincinnati is doing,” Mayor John Cranley said in a statement. “We are spending money we would already spend on power to buy lower-cost renewable energy that also benefits the community.”
The solar farm is planned to be installed approximately 40 miles east of the downtown area in Highland County, Ohio, and contain more than 310,000 solar panels covering 1,000 acres. According to project developers, 35 MW of the array will be allocated to city facilities and is scheduled to go live in December 2020, and the remaining 65 MW will be available to residents through the Aggregation program, set to go live in December 2021.
The agreement for the solar project was facilitated by the World Resources Institute and Rocky Mountain Institute’s Renewables Accelerator, through support from the Bloomberg American Cities Climate Challenge.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey