Energy Storage, Utilities - December 11, 2019
NYC installs largest battery storage system to date
New York City is celebrating the launch of its new 4.8 MW battery storage system, the largest battery system in the city to date.
The 16.4 MWh in-front-of-the-meter battery system was installed by Enel X and Related Companies at Related’s Gateway Center shopping mall in Brooklyn and will support Con Edison’s local grid in periods of high peak demand.
“New York is a complex, densely-populated market in continuous growth, which requires innovative technologies to address evolving energy challenges,” Francesco Venturini, head of Enel X, said in a statement. “Storage systems, like this one, are among the critical tools that can help take on these challenges, by increasing energy systems’ flexibility and stability.”
The Gateway Center project has already delivered 100 MWh of stored electricity to the local grid. With the installation of this project, the city makes strides toward Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s goal of implementing 3,000 MW of energy storage by 2030.
Enel X signed a lease agreement with Related, a global real estate firm, who assisted them in installing and connecting Enel’s storage system to Con Edison’s grid. Developers of the project hope it will pave the way for similar energy projects through space leasing real-estate structures.
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects
- UMass plans solar facility, energy storage program
- Energy Market Outlook – What to expect in 2020 and beyond
- Salt River Project launches C&I demand response program
- Ameren Missouri offers C&I demand response program
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Industry News: SED's Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum goes VIRTUAL July 27-29, 2020
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Amazon announces 300 MW across four new RE projects
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Cargill adds 200 MW Illinois solar project to renewables portfolio
- GM to install 3,500 employee EV charging stations
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey
- Research: The State of IoT and Smart Buildings
- 2019 NRG Sustainability Report
- Rapid Microgrid Deployments for Emergency Preparedness: Powering field hospitals for COVID-19 and beyond
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Climate Action in the Energy Capital of the World