GHG Emissions, Utilities - February 25, 2020
Consumers Energy commits to net zero emissions by 2040
In a groundbreaking move by a utility, Consumers Energy announced Feb. 24 a new goal to achieve net zero carbon emissions before 2040.
To achieve this goal, the Michigan utility plan to eliminate coal, boost renewable fuel sources and encourage customers to reduce energy use and waste. Their 2019 Clean Energy Plan outlines a path to meeting Michigan’s energy needs by 2040 while reducing 90% of the emissions they generate and working alongside customers to meet the remaining reduction in emissions.
If successful, Consumers Energy should be able to avoid the need to build three new power plants and eliminate the impact of carbon emissions created by the electricity they generate.
“We often say that no one can do everything, but everyone can do something,” President and CEO Patti Poppe said in a statement. “Consumers Energy is proud to do our part to protect the planet with our new goal, and we look forward to working with Michigan residents to help them understand and do their part so we can accomplish great things together.”
Consumers Energy also plans to offset emissions using other methods such as carbon sequestration, landfill methane capture or large-scale tree planting, while pursuing new technologies and policies aimed at carbon reduction.
- Consumers Energy to Expand Michigan EV Charging Network
- Amazon, AT&T, IKEA, others join electric vehicle alliance
- Michigan utility pilots battery storage project
- Michigan’s first rooftop solar + storage premieres
- Western Michigan University premieres battery storage project
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Unpacking the New UN IPCC Report; Baseball Plays with Clean Energy
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward