Sourcing Renewables - March 20, 2020
Study shows significant drop in RE demand amid Covid-19 outbreak
A report released by BloombergNEF on March 12 estimates that the coronavirus pandemic will significantly impact the renewable energy market over the coming year, including a drop in global solar demand from 121-152 GW to 108-143 GW and the first down year for solar capacity addition since the 1980s.
“Covid-19: Impact on Clean Energy, Transport and Materials” details the drop in solar demand despite Chinese factories beginning to reopen at this time. There has been a 16% decline in BNEF’s midpoint estimate of solar build in 2020 since Covid-19 reached a pandemic level.
There is also an expected drop in electric vehicle and battery demand as the auto market responds to the larger global macroeconomic conditions. BNEF expects a 4% decline in battery demand GWh in 2020 following the Covid-19 crisis.
Alternatively, the BNEF report expects wind power to be the exception, with a projected downside risk to their forecast of 75.GW. This would still make 2020 a record year for wind capacity.
As policy decisions are turned away from renewable energy toward more pressing matters, the interruption to production in China has also highlighted the need for more diversified supply chains around the world.
- 2020 Sustainable Energy in America Factbook
- Clean hydrogen has potential to replace natural gas, report finds
- Corporates on track for biggest year in global PPAs
- Power sector efficiency up despite emissions increase
- Corporate Clean Energy Buying Surged to New Record in 2018
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Decisions' Renewable Energy
Sourcing Forum goes virtual
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Clean charging exponentially optimizes EV efficiency
- GM's largest North America plant goes 100% solar-powered
- Trane Technologies targets carbon neutrality by 2030
- Facebook to power Ga. data center with solar
- Wells Fargo and Shell Energy team up on multi-project RE agreement
- Case Study: Corner Office shines as sustainability leader with rooftop solar + LED lighting installation
- eBook: How to Monetize Your Energy Assets
- Enhancing Sustainable Cities
- 2020 Corporate Energy and Sustainability Progress Report
- Virtual Innovation Summit: Cisco's Global Energy and Sustainability Journey