Commercial, Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - August 20, 2020
Air Canada improves fuel efficiency by 19%
Air Canada announced Aug. 17 that they successfully improved their fuel efficiency by 19% between 2009 and 2019 and are on track to achieve the annual 1.5% fuel efficiency improvement by the end of 2020.
In their 2019 sustainability report, Citizens of the World, the Montreal-based airline reported that they are progressing toward their goal of carbon-neutral growth for 2020 for international aviation and are continuing to support the development of lower-carbon Sustainable Aviation Fuels (SAF) in Canada.
Air Canada plans to follow the International Air Transport Association’s target of reducing net aviation CO2 emissions by 50% between 2005 and 2050. To achieve this target, they are following IATA’s 4-pillar approach of implementing more efficient aircraft operations, improving the technology and sustainable aviation used, improving infrastructure and following single Global Market-based measures to fill the remaining emissions gap.
“Despite the extreme challenges we are facing this year, sustainability remains a top priority for Air Canada,” Calin Rovinescu, President and CEO of Air Canada, said in a statement. “We believe that growth and prosperity should not come at the expense of sustainability and we are committed to operating our business responsibly and with integrity for the benefit of future generations. The 2019 Citizens of the World report is evidence of our strong global organization which we have worked so hard to build over the last 10 years. While our collective achievements of 2019 may feel distant under the current circumstances, they should be highlighted nonetheless.”
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill, Ardent Mills complete agreement with Texas solar farm
- Google issues largest corporate sustainability bond
- Insights from the 2020 Renewable Energy Sourcing Forum - Summer Edition
- Integrated Renewable Energy - A Simpler Renewable Solution
- How to Engage Your Supply Chain in Sustainability
- Preparing for the Energy Transition, Part 1: Immediate Steps For C&I Facilities
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects