Industrial, Wind - September 14, 2020
Henkel inks VPPA to cover 100% of US operations with wind
Henkel announced Sept. 14 that they have signed a large-scale VPPA with a wind farm in Texas that will cover 100% of the electricity demand of their U.S. operations, including 30 production sites across the country.
The Germany-based consumer goods producer is currently pursuing their goal of sourcing 100% renewable electricity for their production sites by 2030. This new VPPA is connected to an Ørsted wind project in Bee County, Texas, that is expected to generate approximately 600,000 MWh of electricity per year.
“At Henkel, we want to make a positive contribution to climate protection and further accelerate our efforts,” Sylvie Nicol, Member of the Henkel Management Board, said in a statement. “Based on our strong achievements, we have reaffirmed our commitment to become climate-positive by 2040. The power purchase agreement demonstrates how we can drive tangible progress towards achieving our ambitious targets.”
To achieve their climate-positive goal by 2040, Henkel is targeting a reduction in their production carbon footprint by 65% by 2025 and 75% by 2030 from a 2012 baseline and plans to source 100% renewable electricity by 2030. The company’s emissions targets were also approved by the Science Based Targets initiative.
The Bee County wind farm is scheduled to go online in early 2022 and half of the capacity generated will be allocated to Henkel for more than 10 years.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
Smart Energy Voices Podcast
Episode 4: The Purpose Driven Organization
with Jeff Fromm and David Smart
- 2020 Innovation Awards winners announced
- Facebook data center a major contributor to N.M. clean energy goals
- Illinois plans clean energy overhaul
- Google retroactively offsets all carbon since founding
- Cargill, Ardent Mills complete agreement with Texas solar farm
- Smart Energy Voices Podcast Digs Deep with Industry Movers and Shakers
- No Capital Needed: Your Guide to No-Cost Energy Projects
- Retail Suppliers are Changing the Game for Renewable Energy Buyers
- Being an Energy Superhero in Challenging Times: Maximizing Value through Active Retail Portfolio Management
- A Microgrid For Your Business is More Important Now Than Ever. Find out why.
- Is the Virtual Power Purchase Agreement the best path to achieving your sustainability goals?