Energy Efficiency, Solar - June 15, 2021
City of Madison Adds 8 MW Solar For Municipal and School Buildings
The City of Madison and the Madison Metropolitan School District will soon be receiving power from an 8 MW solar array approved by the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.
The installation is being led by Madison Gas and Electric in pursuit of its goal to achieve net-zero carbon electricity for all its customers by 2050. The City will receive 5 MW of the output, while the school district will take 3 MW under separate RER agreements with MGE.
Through this clean energy generation, the City of Madison will increase its renewable energy use by 20%, while the school district will increase its use by 16%.
NextEra Energy Resources Development will develop the 28,000-panel installation across 53 acres of land in southeast Madison.
"The groundbreaking for this project signifies a significant step towards achieving our district's renewable energy goals for the future," Dr. Carlton D. Jenkins, Madison Metropolitan School District superintendent, said in a statement. "With a focus on mitigating climate change to the benefit of our community, our students, staff and board of education worked collaboratively to establish goals to meet 50% of all MMSD's energy needs with renewable energy by 2030, 75% by 2035 and 100% by 2040. Through our tremendous partnership with the City of Madison, this project alone will move an estimated 16% of MMSD's traditional energy from MGE entirely over to solar-produced energy."
Construction on the array is expected to begin this summer and be generating electricity by the end of the year.
- City of Madison receives energy-efficiency grant
- City of Madison adopts new EV requirements
- Madison plans 8 MW solar array to power municipal operations
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Keynotes from General Mills, Port of Seattle, Stanford University to Lead the DE Forum
- CEO Alliance Calls for Climate Action at the G7 Summit
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Weekend Reads: Biden's Plan for the EV Transition; What the IPCC Report Means for Businesses