Commercial, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - July 13, 2021
Costa Rica Marriott Installs Microgrid
Costa Rica Marriott Hacienda Belén announced on July 13 that it is installing a microgrid representing the first of the Marriott chain in Latin America to deploy the technology. The microgrid will allow the hotel to avoid 20.8 tons of CO2 per year, reduce electricity consumption, have energy coverage, and increase resilience against electrical outages.
The Costa Rica Marriott Hacienda Belén initiative stems from the company's sustainability goals and Marriott International's 360 Serve program, through which the hotel chain aims to positively impact the communities where it operates.
“Our goal with this initiative is to help the environment by reducing carbon emissions while also reducing electricity consumption. Since 2017 we have been investing in sustainability programs—a central element in improving our guest experience,” Daniel Grew, Strategic Sustainability Advisor for CPG Hospitality, said in a statement.
The systems will be controlled, optimized, and managed by Heila Technologies and include a low-voltage energy generation and distribution system made of solar panels, storage batteries, energy inverters, and control software that manages the generation, storage, and distribution of the energy produced. The investment represents an important change in how the hotel will operate on an energy level. The microgrid deployment work is expected to be completed in November, creating the most advanced control and optimization system nationwide with its decentralized control technology. Through the installation, the hotel will generate 30 indirect jobs in Costa Rica.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Jigar Shah to lead $40 billion DOE clean tech loan effort
- Microsoft, HP, General Motors Headline Final Agenda for In-Person RE Forum
- Mission-Critical Emission Targets Driving Interest in RE Forum
- Go Beyond the Meter with Season 3 Podcast Premiere
- Cisco Unveils 2040 Net-Zero Target
- Amazon Invests in Brazil Reforestation
- Supplier Spotlight - Ameresco: Energizing Our Net Zero Future
- Decarbonizing HVAC and Water Heating in Commercial Buildings
- Securing a Better Energy Future through the Power of Choice: Energy Solutions for Businesses and Communities
- Biogas: Another Part of the Sustainability Picture
- A New Age of Demand-Side Energy Management: Data Centers