Distributed Generation, Solar, Sourcing Renewables - January 4, 2022
Huhtamaki Signs VPPAs for Solar Energy
Huhtamaki signed two virtual 10-year Power Purchase Agreements (VPPA) as part of its goal of using 100% renewable electricity and a carbon neutral production by 2030.
A global provider of sustainable packaging solutions, Huhtamaki signed these VPPAs with global renewable energy developer BayWa r.e covering its operations in Europe. The agreements form the largest solar VPPA for the packaging industry in Europe, as well as the first major solar VPPA by a Finnish company.
The 200 GWh agreements cover approximately 80% of Huhtamaki’s current electricity usage in Europe, where the key global provider of sustainable packaging solutions has 18 manufacturing sites in 10 countries.
”We are committed to our ambitious 2030 strategy to become the first choice in sustainable packaging solutions,” said Charles Héaulmé, President and CEO of Huhtamaki in a statement. “This means developing a circular approach for our operations and products. We are fully committed to supporting the transition to a zero-carbon economy and have a climate strategy with clear targets and action plans to address all our emissions. Renewable electricity plays a major role in delivering on our ambitions and the agreement we have just signed with BayWa r.e. demonstrates that it is possible to achieve significant progress in a short time.”
As part of the VPPAs, BayWa r.e. will build two new solar installations in Spain bringing a significant addition of renewable energy to the European grid. The two new solar sites have a combined volume of 200 GWh of renewable electricity per year - enough electricity to power almost 25,000 households – resulting in saving over 89,000 tons of CO2 annually.
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Rivian Invests in Wind Turbine
- Lessons from the Front Line: Principles and Recommendations for Large-scale and Distributed Energy Interconnection Reforms
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness