Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 21, 2022
Citi Sets 2050 Net Zero Goal
Citi announced its goals to achieve net zero by 2050, including its 2030 emissions targets.
The investment bank’s goals include its 2030 emissions targets – a 29% reduction in financed emissions for the energy sector, and a 63% reduction in portfolio emissions intensity for the power sector, which are detailed in its 2021 Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures (TCFD) report.
“We will need to actively engage with our clients across all relevant sectors to map out what decarbonization pathways look like for each industry,” said Jane Fraser, CEO of Citi, in a statement. “And in our efforts, we want to ensure we're supporting a responsible transition for all, particularly in developing countries where there may be limited access to energy and the resources needed for the transition. We will strive to meet the current needs of developing countries without causing negative social impacts or exacerbating existing inequalities, so that we can help these markets prioritize the transition to net zero while balancing both environmental and social needs.”
The company’s path to net zero emissions includes its recent $1 trillion sustainable finance goal that includes a plan to finance clean energy solutions.
Citi will support its clients in their own transitions to net zero, including its fossil fuel clients, to develop credible plans and transition to net zero together. The company will also encourage the responsible retirement of carbon-intensive assets rather than divestment as part of these transition plans.
- Citi, Goldman Sachs and Others Join Collaboration to Decarbonize Steel
- Citi to finance $250 billion in climate projects
- Citi issues first U.S. green bond
- Digital Realty inks wind PPA for Texas data centers
- Citi goes green in Texas with RECs
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward