Energy Efficiency, GHG Emissions - January 21, 2022
DS Smith to Lower GHG By 2030
Sustainable packaging leader DS Smith announced it is committing to reducing its Scope 1, 2, and 3 GHG emissions by 46% by 2030. These targets will keep DS Smith in line with its prior commitment to reach net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
“Today’s announcement demonstrates our ambition in reducing carbon as part of our long-term sustainability focus,” said Miles Roberts, Group Chief Executive at DS Smith in a statement. “This commitment not only ensures our business is leading the way in reducing our carbon footprint, but also guarantees we are challenging our suppliers and partners to do the same.”
DS Smith will invest consistently in its own operations, including the adoption of next-generation engineering solutions, such as biomethane boiler technology. The company will also harness self-generated renewable energy sources, such as wind and solar, and power purchasing agreements to replace grid electricity. The plan to reach 1.5°C has been submitted for verification by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi).
DS Smith will also engage with all its strategic suppliers to encourage them to adopt science-based targets by 2027.
The company will set out the key strategic actions and milestones that will define DS Smith’s transition to net zero and publish them this summer. The company has already achieved a 23% reduction in CO2e per ton of production between 2015 and 2020.
- DS Smith Reports 23% Emissions Drop Since 2015
- DS Smith Eyes Net Zero Through Biomass and RE Generation
Share this valuable information with your colleagues using the buttons below:« Back to News
- Amazon, Meta Top List of Energy Customers
- SED's WISE Award Winners Announced
- Weekend Reads: The EV Race Speeds Up; Germany Trades LNG For Green Hydrogen
- Weekend Reads: Breaking the EU Free From Russian Energy; The Truth About Airline Climate Offsets
- Weekend Reads: Auto Giants Call for EV Battery Development; Harnessing Solar Power from Space
- Weekend Reads: Using the Defense Production Act to boost clean energy; Beaming solar power from space to earth
- NRG releases 12th annual sustainability report highlighting consistent actions that drive stakeholder value
- In Setting Corporate Climate Goals, Credibility is Key
- Better Buildings Progress Report 2022
- Extreme Weather & Power Supply Preparedness
- Selecting a Renewables Project: Evaluate Risk vs. Reward